Monday, March 24, 2008

This past weekend was rough!

Whew! It was a very close call this weekend. I didn't think that I was going to get to keep her, and it was all because Arno did not recall my telling him that I was going to get her this weekend. I told him that on Thursday evening, and apparently he did not pay attention to me..So, when I brought her home on Saturday evening, he was livid that I would just bring a new puppy home and not discuss it with him before I did that. He seemed to forget that I told him that I would not spend a ton of money on ANYTHING without his express knowledge and agreement.

See, I have kept my part of this promise up, even so far as not spending $20 on anything that has not been planned or discussed between the 2 of us. The only variance that happens is at the grocery store. I seem to always remember something that I forgot when I am walking down the aisle in the grocery store. It seems that even as hard as I plan my weekly menus, the ingredients needed, plus any staples that I have ran out of that week.. I always remember something that I forgot to write on the list. Of course, I do not count this in that same promise above. Perhaps I should..Anyway..back to this weekend...

Never mind that I have been telling him since the first part of December that I was actively looking. Never mind that I have been telling him since we had to put Kayla down in 2006 that I really NEEDED a little dog to fill that void that was left by my losing Kayla. You know if you are a pet lover, that when you have to put down a pet, whether it is unexpected or not, there is a HUGE void in your heart.. I knew that Kayla was close to the end of her life for 2 years before I actually had to make the decision..but that did not ease my heartache, nor did it get any easier to come home and not see that little furball dancing for me and wagging her tail madly because I walked in the door.. Am I the only one that gets this?

He admitted yesterday that he did hear me all of these years since putting Kayla down about getting another puppy.. He said that he believed that I knew that I could not get another puppy until Moose was healed and in her forever home. I did know that, and when I placed her the first time, I started looking then. I did not expect those people to bring her back, I believed them when they said that they would get her the care that she needed medically and that they would be okay with her special needs status. Never mind that I was socking money away until I got the money saved up for a new puppy..That took me from December until now to do that socking away a little bit at a time.

We really got into it yesterday morning.. Finally yesterday afternoon, after I had returned to dog to keep peace..he told me that I could go get her back if the lady would sell her to me again. I made him tell me why he was changing his mind after being so dead set against it earlier that day. He told me that he truly believed that I did not mention this to him on Thursday, and he felt lied to and betrayed when I came home with her on Saturday night. He also said that he was upset that I did not involve him in the process of picking her out or anything. I didn't do that because I was pretty sure that he was not all that keen about getting another pet. He is perfectly happy with just Chewi, and he tolerates Moose..

He made me promise that I would not ask him to let me get another dog until one of these two dies..and I could make that promise easily.. so I did.


Then he goes with me to pick her up again, and the breeder (bless her soul) told him in no uncertain terms that she would not give a refund again. She told him that she was not in the breeding for the money, and she knew that I would provide this puppy with a forever home from the first moment I held her. She told him that she knew that I was a rare one, and she believed that I needed to give this baby a home forever. She told him that the money that I was willing to pay for her spoke volumes about that committment. She showed him in the sales contract where it is written in all caps that she will not give a refund under ANY circumstances once the puppy leaves her home. I know that if she did not give a refund, I would not have a legal leg to stand on in court because it is written out and I signed the contract knowing this. I was lucky that she agreed to take her back in the first place. She said that he needed to be SURE that he was okay with this because she would not refund the money again. Yeah, she said that 3 or 4 times before we left that night. So, he promised me that he would not harbor resentment or anger towards me or the puppy, and he said that he was okay with it to her.

I am still a little weary this morning.. but I am a bit encouraged because he held her all the way home..he let her lick him to pieces..and this morning, he was so cute taking him with her down the stairs to go potty.. I told him when we got up that I had to put my hose on before I could go downstairs with him and the dogs.. but when I came into the living room, he had her outside already, and he was playing with Chewi and the puppy.I am glad that he came around..and I do think she will grow on him. I had spent a bit of time with her prior to picking her up.. so I was already attached to her..Heh.. He was toast once he held her all the way home..I knew he would be once he spent a little bit of time with her.

If I am being honest though.. Having a special needs kitty that is well on her way to being whole again, a new puppy, and a somewhat jealous Chew-Chew-Boo is quite taxing on a girl's nerves..

Well, I have to go to work now.. so imagine a drum roll if you will.. I think that I have decided on her official name for her papers..

She is sleeping on her blanket right now, in our biggest laundry basket.. and she is just too precious..Tonight, when he gets home I have to go to PetSmart or Petco and get her some sort of chew toy, some puppy chow, and one of those water bottles that has the little ball in the end. I tried to give her water in a dish last night, and she would not drink it. She would put her face in the water, shake the wet off, and turn away from it.

I have never had a dog do the water bottle thing before. I also have to find a crate for her that fits her through her life until she gets grown. Chewi's cage is way too large for this little munchkin..

Oh, and Moose? she has grow a foot I think since the last pictures a couple of weeks ago. I really think that this chiropractor is working miracles with her. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a cutie - you will appreciate that water bottle after her hair gets long. those wet kisses after a drink from a water bowl aren't fun! LOL!!! Good Luck

LindaHensens said...

Thank you for writing! It is always exciting to see a post come on my blog..

Nikita (Nikki) likes her water bottle for sure. When I had my previous little dog, Kayla, (her picture is in my archives from last year), her groomer had a pedigreed Shih Tzu named Buzz.. That puppy/dog was the absolute cutest dog that I had ever seen, outside of Kayla.. :)

My groomer, her name was Kim, used the water bottles for all of her dogs, all 5 of them! She told me that if I ever did get a Shih Tzu, that I would find that water bottles were the way to go with that breed because of the very reason that your response stated.

I like that there is no mess, no excess water on the floor like it is with my German Shepard, Chewi. Chewi doesn't mean harm, she just has a HUGE tongue that laps that water up like nobody's business and when she does it water splashes everywhere!

If you want to, you could post a picture of your own Shih Tzu here, I think. I know you would have to upload it into somewhere like Photobucket.com, and then copy the HTML code for it to show up, but I would be open to sharing pictures of animals.. I LOVE the furbabies.. :)

Thanks again for responding! I hope you will come back soon!
Linda AND Nikki Blue.. ;)